Winemaking Equipment and Sterilization
- 30 litre fermenter
- A 5 gallon glass carboy (You can also reuse the canisters our juice comes in)
- a 23 Litre pail
- Hydrometer, siphon tubing, J-Tube
- Optional: Plastic spoon, filling tube, rubber bungs and airlocks (if using a carboy)
- Potassium Metabisulphite (sanitizer), stabilizer, yeast
- Optional: yeast nutrient, gelatin and kieselsol for clarifying white wine
-Dissolve 2 oz. of potassium metabisulphite into a one (1) gallon jug of hot water. This makes a reusable disinfecting solution that will last up to 6 months if kept tightly capped.
-Sterilize all equipment that will touch the wine or juice by rinsing it with this metabisulphite solution. After sterilizing your equipment, always rinse your equipment twice with water.