These thick skinned and richly dark coloured grapes are grown in almost every wine growing region across the world and are strongly resistant to rot and frost. These grapes, a cross of Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Franc, are a relatively new introduction since the 17th century.
- Long flavours with vegetable notes
- Thick skinned, it imparts heavy tannins and phenols.
- Full aromas of black currants and crushed black pepper
- Has strong acidity that helps its longevity
- One of the most widely used varieties for blending.
- Wines with long hot skin fermentations have huge tannins and require extensive aging.
- Cabernets love the spice and vanilla of Oak barrel aging.
- Cabernets also have been found to hold higher levels “Resveratrol” that studies show can reduce the risk factors associated with Alzheimer’s disease
- Wine responds well to 6-24 months of aging
- Cabernet is a terrific blending wine. It blends well with Barbera, Syrah, Merlot, Sangiovese, and Malbec
- It is the major wine in our Bordeaux Blend (45% Cab, 30% Merlot, 25% Syrah)
- We recommend oaking this wine with oak chips or in our Barrel Program